Thursday, October 13, 2011

Connecting Zero to Ten

PhotobucketA number of people who have watched my animation notice that by the time you get to ten in its unobserved state, in a way you're back to where you started - with a point of indeterminate size. As I've said before, this was the intent of the helix logo created for this project - the 0 (or nothingness) and the 10 (or the Omniverse) really are connected concepts, and that's why I represent them as being on a line inside the other dimensions as you can see in the animation we're looking at here. Would this connection allow for a repeating cycle effectively creating infinite dimensions? Though some people have suggested that idea, it doesn't feel quite right to me. The idea that there are really no dimensions, that there are just infinite vectors within one underlying fabric which is dimensionless, actually resonates more strongly for me, because that's a way of describing the tenth dimension using a different mindset.

But personally, I still believe there are good reasons to believe in the existence of extra dimensions beyond space-time, and that there are good opportunities within these paths to the infinitely large and the infinitesimally small for us to consider the continuously repeating recursion that relates conceptually to Douglas Hofstadter's I Am a Strange Loop, or John Wheeler's  description of the universe as a self-excited circuit. In Imagining the Ninth Dimension, we looked at Stuart Kauffman's idea that there is a force for ceaseless creativity in the natural universe, and we'll return to ideas related to all this in upcoming entries.


Next: Rob on The Peake Experience

Previously in this series:
Wrapping it Up in the Tenth Dimension
Imagining the Ninth Dimension
Imagining the Eighth Dimension
Imagining the Seventh Dimension
Imagining the Sixth Dimension
Imagining the Fifth Dimension
Imagining the Fourth Dimension
Imagining the Third Dimension
Imagining the Second Dimension

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have made a blog about hidden numbers above the Pascal's triangle and they contain zeroes. May I invite you to read about my blog and help me if we could connect the Pascal's triangle to this zeroth dimension. The link to my blog is:

https://bernardbeduya.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/a-pascals-triangle-hidden-inside-the-pascals-triangle/

My blog also talks about hidden 4-digit palindromic numbers that I found in the Pascal's triangle but my take on the hidden numbers above the Pascal's triangle (which includes an infinite number of zeroes) is towards the end of that blog. So, please scroll down on that blog until you get to that part. Best regards.

Tenth Dimension Vlog playlist